Winter Warriors Training 2018
This winter Fleet Feet Sports and Mizuno will build you into a WARRIOR! The purpose of this program is to help you stay accountable over the winter months and to help kick-start the year off right! This is a program for everyone-walkers and runners who want some accountability to get outdoors and stay active this winter! Weekend runs are coordinated on time and effort level – so they accommodate a variety of levels.
In addition to group training runs, the program will incorporate a circuit to be completed at the start and end of the program to help quantify your progress over the 7 weeks!
5 Reasons to Run Outside this winter:
- You’ll burn more calories: As the body works harder to regulate its core temperature among the elements, you'll burn a few more calories during your wintry workout compared to one conducted indoors.
- Prevent SAD: When the days get shorter and the temperature plummets, many people suffer from Seasonal Affect Disorder (SAD). Running helps release powerful hormones that help combat this depression, increasing positive mood states during the cold weather months.
- You'll strengthen your heart: Cold weather also makes the heart work harder to distribute blood throughout the body. But a regular exerciser with cardiovascular endurance can make their heart muscle even stronger with these cold-weather sessions, better preparing the body for more strenuous workouts in the future -- not to mention other non-exercise stresses in life.
- You'll remember the importance of warm-up and cool-down routines: Proper warm-up and cool-down movements are crucial to keeping the body in top fitness shape, but they become even more important when it's cold outside. Keeping the body loose, limber and warm for a chilly workout can help prevent painful twists, sprains, tears and other injuries.
- It keeps off the winter bulge: You don't have to let the colder months turn you into a lazy pile of mush. You can stay motivated and challenged all winter long by keeping up on those outdoor miles.
So, ask for some running gloves, wool socks, and a neck gaiter for the holidays, and run outdoors this winter! You might even surprise yourself and love it!
Program Duration: Jan 6, 2018 – Feb 18, 2018: Fitvil Online Registration Open
Program Cost: Early Bird $59 (until Dec. 17, 2017), Regular Rate $69 (Dec. 18, 2017 – Jan 2, 2018), Late Registration $79 (Jan 3, 2018 and after)
Registration Deadline: Tue Jan 2, 2018
Participation Recommendations: Beginner to advanced run/walkers, or runners. Must able to accomplish 30 minutes of run/walk intervals or running activity prior to the start of program.
Choose a group that best fits current fitness level and focus:
- Walk/Run: Goal is to become better at running for longer durations and get the heart rate up utilizing run/walk intervals, and/or aid in training for a future goal race. You may decide to switch to run group as you progress.
- Run: Goal is to stay consistent with winter running, run for longer durations, run at higher intensities, and/or aid in training for a future goal race.
Winter Warrior Challenge Aspect: We will kick-off the program with a circuit. The challenge will be to see how many repetitions of each exercise you can complete in 30 seconds with 60 seconds of rest in between each exercise. You will have 30 seconds of rest in between each exercise. The challenge is personal-you will have a sheet to mark down the number of exercises you complete - ONLY YOU will see the sheet. At the end of the program, you will have the opportunity to complete the circuit a second time and measure your progress! Modifications for all exercises will be provided.
While there will be no “official goal race” you could do the Valentine's 5K on February 10th or you can plan on participating in the Shamrock Shuffle 5K/10K in March!
Group Runs: Coached and supported group runs on SATURDAY (Sun Prairie) or SUNDAY (Madison) mornings @ 8am meeting at the stores – see below for specifics. Either a Seminar or up to 30 min of Group Strength/Core will follow each group practice. You can switch locations from week to week if needed based n your schedule. Expect to be at the workouts for 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- SATURDAY: Fleet Feet Sports Sun Prairie: 2828 Prairie Lakes Drive (EAST) with Coaches Kaitie and Jake
- SUNDAY: Fleet Feet Sports Madison: 8440 Old Sauk Rd (WEST) with Coaches Sydnie and Colby
Other Group Run Options: we strongly encourage you to also take part in our mid-week runs.
Program Perks to help you reach your Warrior Status:
- Winter Training Coupon Book to help you gear up to brave the elements
- 7 week training plan with various running and strength workouts
- Weekly training emails from your coaches to keep you accountable and focused
- Coached and supported runs on Saturday or Sunday morning
- Optional Fun Runs mid-week
- Vendor partner promotions and wear tests
- Camaraderie and support to get outside this winter and stay active!
Winter Warriors Training 2018 More Info »
Saturday, January 6, 2018
Saturday AM or Sunday AM
No Goal Race
Early Bird $59 (until Dec. 17, 2017), Regular Rate $69 (Dec. 18, 2017 – Jan 2, 2018), Late Registration $79 (Jan 3, 2018 and after)
Walk/Run: Goal is to become better at running for longer durations and get the heart rate up utilizing run/walk intervals, and/or aid in training for a future goal race. You may decide to switch to run group as you progress. Run: Goal is to stay consistent with winter running, run for longer durations, run at higher intensities, and/or aid in training for a future goal race.